- Ranger information on the NWNWIKI
Rangers are skilled hunters with a wide variety of build options available to them.
- Legendary BAB: +15
- Forum Class Ability Board
- Languages: Rangers can speak Animal. To speak it, use the command /l animal [message] to speak a single line in Animal, or !speak animal to speak it until you !speak another language or opt to !speak common.
- Legendary Ability Bonuses: Legendary Rangers gain +1 per 5 legendary levels to Constitution.
- Upon reaching level 41 using the Altar of Legends, a character with Ranger 25 will receive the Evasion feat. If he has Ranger 40, he will receive the Improved Evasion feat.
- Wisdom AC Bonus: Rangers with 20 or less Wisdom modifier receive twice their Wisdom modifier as an AC bonus, capped at half their number of Ranger class levels. Rangers with 21 or more Wisdom modifier receive their Wisdom modifier as an AC bonus, capped at their number of Ranger class levels.
- To receive this AC bonus, the Ranger must be wearing light armor, must not have a shield equipped, must not have a kama, goad, or nunchaku equipped, and if wielding a melee weapon must wield one which can be equipped in the off-hand.
- Nature's Allies: At Druid 21 or Ranger 21 and at least 25 character levels, characters can acquire the ability to summon natural allies. The Animal Empathy skill determines the power and shape of those allies.
- Called Shot: When used by characters with at least 35 Ranger levels and the Bane of Enemies feat against their favored enemies, Called Shot will mark the enemy for 2 rounds. If the Ranger hits the called foe within that time, the enemy has to make a Fortitude save or die. The DC is Ranger class level plus half the Ranger's Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom (if using Zen Archery) modifier, whichever is highest. In addition, legendary Rangers receive +1 DC at Ranger 45 and 55. If the Ranger has the Zen Archery feat and is using it, they add an additional (Wis modifier / 8) to the DC. Even if the save succeeds, the target will still take (Ranger level including LLs / 10) points of Constitution damage.
- Ranger Spell Changes
Rangers either dual two melee weapons or use a bow with Zen Archery. All Ranger types can easily achieve both great defense and high kill counts.
Dexterity based Rangers are very easy to build and are an extremely well rounded build. With high AC, their own buffs and spare stat points to distribute to STR (so they can make STR checks) they can achieve phenomenal defenses. They also have very high AB and Called Shot DC so are excellent instant killers and damage dealers.
Since splashing in another class reduces Called Shot DC, most dex rangers are pure. They are already such well a rounded build that there is rarely need to splash another class (although they do miss out on UMD). Dex rangers dual two melee weapons so they can get bonus Wisdom AC, katanas and bastard swords are the most popular choices for weapons.
Strength based Rangers are focused on greater damage output than their DEX based counterparts. They add their STR mod to damage on each attack so can reach significantly higher damage output. Although they have lower AC, it is still easy to reach upwards of 130 and in addition they receive crit immunity through the Polymorph Self (Zombie) spell.
Some STR Rangers are pure and maintain a high Called Shot DC for instant kills whereas others splash in classes such as Weapon Master, Paladin or Rogue for defensive or offensive benefits. Weapon Master is popular due to the increased crit range and multiplier which significantly increases damage output. Katanas and Bastard Swords are also popular weapon choices, although for a STR Wemic Ranger, Spears are also a viable option.
- Zen Archer: Open Subrace: Deadwood Sniper
With the Zen Archery feat these builds use their WIS modifier instead of DEX for ranged attacks with a shortbow. By maximizing Wisdom they can achieve massive Called Shot DC, making them the best instant killer of all Ranger types. They do this at the cost of defenses and damage, although there are special Ranger Bows found throughout the mod that grant them some Shield AC and extra damage based on WIS modifier.
Most Rangers have excellent AC to help them avoid attacks and high STR and DEX to avoid KD checks. Together with Mass Camouflage (improved with high Hide skill), a good source of concealment, rangers make very sturdy tanks. Rangers with 40 base STR also recieve crit immunity from Polymorph self. Polymorph Self can also be used to obtain stun immunity, levitation, or extra dodge AC for removing hell penalties.
The defense of melee Rangers is very good, so much so that often you will have no trouble tanking on the frontline and pulling the most dangerous spawns in the mod. The only drawback to pure rangers is they have no UMD to get themselves out of sticky situations. GS pots (from Hell Shop or as a consumable where BURs drop) are very useful and can help pure rangers keep out of trouble. Rangers that have splashed in a class like rogue don't have this problem.
Rangers have a few key buffs and feats to boost their damage output. The first is to take the right Favored Enemy feats. Favored Enemies let Rangers choose races against which they will receive combat bonuses. The feat Bane of Enemies gives you a +2 ab bonus and 2d6 damage bonus against all your favored enemies. Note that Bane of Enemies is necessary for Called Shot to work anyway. Finally, there is also the Blade Thirst buff, which adds extra Positive damage. It begins by adding 1 die of positive damage against favored enemies, increasing to 2 dice at CL31, 3 dice at CL41, and 4 dice at CL51. It also grants an enhancement bonus. This is +12 at CL 40, +1 each for GSF and LSF Enhancement. You can use a Ssithrak tome to obtain GSF Ench, but Rangers without slashing weapons will need to use a Transumtation tome instead, since without it, bludgeoning or piercing weapons will not receive the effects. Blade Thirst is short duration and doesn't refresh itself so you will need to memorize a couple.
Called Shot is an important part of most ranger builds. An effective DC is usually considered to be 52+, but can reach as high as 65 (without Foebane). The radial menu icon can be hotkeyed so you can target enemies while fighting them, but an easier option is to macro '!action cs opponent' to your quickbar. This command will mark your current opponent (what you are attacking) with called shot so you don't have to waste time trying to target an opponent. Called Shot is a swift action so you need to wait for it to cooldown a round after each attempt.
You cannot take Favored Enemy feats in legendary levels, as they do not work properly if you do.
This is a list of the most useful favored enemies in Legendary areas of the mod. They are listed in a fairly rough order of importance.
- Outsiders: Outsiders are extremely common and is one of the most important favored enemies. Outsiders are very common at the Hells, Abyss and Elysium. Many other areas feature Outsiders as well. It should be the first Favored Enemy you take, as the earlier you take it, the greater the bonus it grants.
- Aberrations: Very good for Aboleths, Beholders and Illithids.
- Monstrous Humanoid: This is very useful in a wide range of areas. It is good against a number of bosses, Thralls at Aboleths, Trolls at Feywild and most things at Rona (the Pharlans there are Monstrous Humanoid, not Half-Elf).
- Dragons: Good for a bit of extra damage against the many Dragon bosses such as Tiamat, Uroboros and Sissy. It's also useful at Uro against Spawn of Uroboros and in Elysium against the Silver Dragonkin.
- Shapechangers: For Rakshasa in Hells and good for Elysium where there are many Shapechangers such as Equinal, Lupinal, Ursinal and a couple of Shapechanger bosses.
- Animals: There are lot of Animal enemies througout the mod, these include Ice Reavers (Hells), various Rona enemies, Elysian Boar (Elysium), Scorpions (Desert) etc.
- Magical Beasts: Magical Beasts are spread throughout the mod, they include Elysian Thrush and Blink Dogs (Elysium), Pseudonatural Sharks (Aboleths).
- Reptilian: Excellent for Ssithraks and Locatah, where nearly every enemy is a Reptilian.
- Undead: Good for extra damage/AB at Pyramid, Uroboros and Elysium. Unfortunately all undead are Crit Immune so you won't be able to Called Shot them.
- Vermin: Excellent for Hive. Many other places have some Vermin enemies as well, such as Dream Larva at Aboleths and Shimmerlings at Feywild.
- Elementals: Good for Pyramid, Feywild and the Elemental Planes.
- Constructs: A lot of runs have the odd Construct in them, but since Constructs are Crit Immune, it is not one of the most useful Favored Enemies to take. Enemies include Baatorian Golems (Hells), Eidolons (Aboleths), Plutonean Golems (POM), S'Gob Slia (Sissy) etc.
- Fey: Mostly of use at Feywild, but you won't be useless there without it as Feywild also features Magical Beasts, Animals, Monstrous Humanoids, Elementals and Vermin. Water Sprites in Locatah are also Fey.
- Gnomes: Useful only in Toyshop
|At 35 character levels and 25 ranger levels, you can find the ranger secret (some pretty nice items).